“If you continue to this simple practice everyday you will attain a wonderful power. Before you attain it, it is something wonderful, but after you attain it, it is nothing special.” – Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind, Shunryu Suzuki
The Lab Report – 008 – “Meditation: The First 6 Month”
For me these first 6 months was about establishing the habit of sitting daily. With that now in place it’s time to take it to the next level.
Instead of counting both inhalations and exhalations I’m now moving on to counting only my out-breath. The end goal is to not count at all, but that’s when I built up my ability to concentrate enough.
Mid term effects: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
– I still dose off from time to time.
– Resistance to the practice and boredom is no longer an issue.
– I had a mystical experience (a positive one) when I was a the peak of frustration and boredom with the practice (day 130). I can’t really share the details.
Long term effects: ❓❓❓
– Still unknown. I’m aiming for doing 365 consecutive days in this experiment. It’s still to early to tell.
Sustainability: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
– The habit has become automatic. I have missed 3 days so far which leaves me with a 98,3% success rate. Now I just need to find time to sit for longer sessions.
– Meditation time is in direct competition with my reading time.
FINAL VERDICT: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
I don’t feel the same frustration about the practice that I felt in the beginning. Maybe it’s because I’m back on coffee and therefore don’t dose off as easily? More likely it’s because of habit and the well-being I get from sitting. It’s hard to put finger on the exact benefits but they are there and they are noticeable. I feel more calm, yet alert; more detached, yet more engaged.
What are your daily rituals? 🤔
Check out Lab Reports for more!